RSS

Monthly Archives: October 2015

Just Stand Up

For the hard days . . . When you need a hero . . . A miracle . . . He lives within you – His strength is perfected in your weakness – that’s how you become your own miracle – the Holy Spirit’s all sufficient grace at work within!

Just Stand Up (partial lyrics)

“The heart is stronger
Than you think
It’s like it can go
Through anything
And even when you think
It can’t it finds a way
To still push on
Though

Sometimes
You want to run away
Ain’t got the patience
For the pain
And if you
Don’t believe it
Look into
Your heart
The beat goes on

I’m tellin’ you
Things get better
Through
Whatever
If you fall
Dust it off
Don’t let up
Don’t you know
You can go
Be your own miracle
You need to know

Chorus:
If the mind
Keeps thinking
You’ve had enough
But the heart
Keeps telling you
Don’t give up
Who are we to be
Questioning
Wondering what is what
Don’t give up
Through it all
Just stand up”

(Facebook Post 10/8/15)

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 22, 2015 in Links, Music

Tags: ,

Art Form Analogy

kintsugi3 kintsugi2 kintsuti1 kintsugi4

Follow the link in red! Follow the Link! You’ll be glad you did!

http://http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/women/how-to-find-beauty-in-brokenness.html

Loved the analogy of the Japanese art form, Kintsugi. What a beautiful picture of what God does in a broken believer’s heart and life.

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 22, 2015 in Faith, Links

Tags: , ,

CAM – Burning House

Chorus:

I’ve been sleepwalking
Been wandering all night
Trying to take what’s lost and broken
Make it right
I’ve been sleepwalking
Too close to the fire
But it’s the only place that I can hold you tight
In this burning house

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 22, 2015 in Links, Music

Tags: ,

Nancy Guthrie, Hearing Jesus Speak Into Your Sorrow

From the While We’re Waiting Bereaved Parents Support Page on Facebook October 16, 2015:

“In times of sorrow and disappointment, everything we believe can be called into question, can’t it? Yet if we turn away from God, there really is no other place to go for meaning or peace. Anywhere away from him is hopelessly dark and empty.”

~Nancy Guthrie, Hearing Jesus Speak Into Your Sorrow

And ain’t that just the truth? There really is no where else to go for meaning and peace. Sometimes that’s a supreme comfort and others, well, when His plans just don’t align with mine, When His plans leave my heart flayed open and aching, sometimes I just want to hide from His presence – which, may be my inclination but certainly isn’t even a remote possibility!

Psalm 139:7-12

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there, if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 22, 2015 in Faith, Grief, Links

Tags: , , ,

Why You Never Really Stop Grieving the Loss of a Child

For the rest of my life, I’ll be missing the should-haves. By Lexi Behrndt

1442010595-baby-photos

The day I realized Charlie would have turned 13 months hit me and hit me hard. Lincoln, my first started walking at 12.5 months. He should be walking right now. And for a moment, I imagined my life as if I were normal. I’d walk out of this room, and there he would be, toddling, getting into things he shouldn’t be, pulling every book off the shelf, just because he could. He’d leave a constant trail of clutter everywhere he went.

I’d walk out of the room, lay eyes on him, and when he saw me, he would smile, a big toothy grin. He’d have six teeth. Drool would be dripping down his chin, a pool around the collar of his shirt. His brother, Lincoln, would be nearby. Lincoln could never resist staying far from him. They would be sharing toys, and I know Lincoln would be getting frustrated and throwing a tantrum in there. I also know that Charlie always laughed the most when Lincoln would throw a fit.

Charlie would be in the perfect hand-me-downs, all the clothes I couldn’t resist buying on the Target clearance racks for Lincoln, Charlie would be wearing them in with the same chubby thighs, bulging belly, and perfect arm rolls.

He’d be saying momma right now. He’d cry my name out when he would get mad, and you know what? I wouldn’t even mind for one second. I’d do anything to hear “momma” just once from that sweet voice.

And when he cried, I’d scoop him into my arms, hold him like the baby he once was, and I’d kiss his perfect lips. I’d tell him that his mommy loves him, and that I’m right here as I rubbed his sandy blonde hair, and wiped the tears as they rolled down his cheeks.

It’s fun to play pretend. It gives my heart a moment of relief. That’s the way it should be — Charlie, healthy and whole and in my arms. Me, the mother of two boys who keep me running constantly with tired eyes, stained shirts, and an overflowing heart. This is the way it should be, except seven months ago, when his little lungs became too sick from congenital heart disease and pulmonary hypertension, I held him in my arms while he breathed his final breath, and I kissed him for the last time.

I didn’t just lose a baby. I lost a toddler.

I lost a goofy 3-year-old, making mischief, causing me stress, and making me giggle at his silly comments.

I lost a kindergartner, backpack on, running to kiss me with sweaty blonde hair and dirt under his fingernails at school pick-up.

I lost a third grader, helping him with math problems, and still tucking him in at night.

I lost a preteen. Reminding him to put his deodorant on everyday. Reminding him that no matter how insecure he might feel, his mom will always have his back.

I lost a high schooler. Cheering him on at a game, helping him prep for his first big date, watching as he grows into independence as a young man, one that I raised.

I lost an adult child. One who I would love forever, because no matter how old I will grow, he would always be my baby.

All the things Charlie could be. All the things he should be. I lost, and instead I hold a child-size walnut urn and cling to every memory I hold from six and a half months in my arms.

When we lose our children, we don’t just lose them at the stage they were when they passed. We lose them at every stage we missed, and our hearts will forever ache with that knowledge. There’s a whole crock of crap that says grief follows a method. It stays neatly in lines, clean, tame, strategic. When a child dies before a parent, there is nothing normal, neat clean, or tame about that.

For the rest of my life, I’ll be missing the should-haves. His little years. His growing years. The moments he should be making me rip my hair out, then the sweet ones, like the day I take him to get his license. Or the day he tells me he is going to propose. Or the day that he becomes a father. I’ll never get those days. Grief will never be methodical or neat.

And one thing I’ve learned from mothers much further along in this journey than me: grief doesn’t end. Out of a broken, beating heart comes endless love as it ebbs and flows through the constant cycles of grief. Sometimes gentle, sometimes heavy. The reminders are always there. The love is always there. After all, a mother never stops loving the child she carried.

1441992618-syn-ghk-charlie-and-me
The author with her little boy, Charlie.

From: The Mix

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 22, 2015 in Grief, Links

Tags: ,

My Redeemer Lives!

Love this song – just makes you want to raise your hands! About 3:45 in listen for her to say “I spoke to Him this morning!” as a testimony that she knows her Redeemer lives! Love that!

Partial Lyrics:

The very same God
That spins things in orbit
Runs to the weary
The worn and the weak
And the same gentle hands
That hold me when I’m broken
They conquer death to bring me victory
Now I know my Redeemer lives
I know my Redeemer lives
Let all creation testify
Let this life within me cry
I know my Redeemer
I know my Redeemer
I know my Redeemer lives
I know my Redeemer lives
I know that, I know that, I know that, I know that, I know
I know my Redeemer lives
(Because He lives I can face tomorrow)
He lives, I know, I know, I know.
He lives
(I spoke with Him this morning.)
He lives.
(The tomb is empty)
He lives.
(I’m gotta tell everybody)

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 22, 2015 in Links, Music

Tags: ,

Laughing at my Nightmare

12088497_994403817288205_1193078907032096104_n
Stumbled across this book on my library’s digital books website. This young man has SMA, a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy (think Jerry Lewis telethon). It’s difference than Gracen’s ARSACS, but both fall under the MD umbrella.

He writes with no small amount of humor and a liberal use of profanity (he particularly enjoys dropping the f-bomb) about growing up and living life with a progressive, terminal illness. (Not all forms of MD are terminal).

The chapters are short, you will laugh out loud, but you will also get a glimpse of how a disabled person views themselves, their fears, their courage, life’s hurdles, and hope amid increasing dependence and diminishing abilities.

It was an educational read for me. I know how I feel, the challenges I’ve faced as a mother of a disabled child, but I can’t crawl inside Gracen’s mind and really appreciate what it’s like for her. I can only imagine and that is hard enough.

Like Gracen, this young man’s disability does not affect his intellect. The book reveals the ways in which people of all disabilities are often grouped together. The author is blunt and not always kind, but his attitudes are reflective of the larger “healthy” community and of a young man’s thoughts and attitudes as he matures. So a parent with an autistic child may find some of what he writes mean-spirited or otherwise offensive. I hope you will recognize Shane is a young man coming of age in challenging circumstances and is simply learning how to live with his own personal reality (nightmare) using humor as his primary coping mechanism.

It’s worth the read if you have any desire to more clearly recognize some of the unique challenges the disabled community encounters.

One more disclaimer: This young man does not shy away from uncomfortable topics including human body parts, urination and sex – all normal parts of any healthy young man’s life. If that and foul language offends you, it’s probably not the book for you.

(Facebook Post 10/2/15)

Tags: , , , , , ,

%d bloggers like this: