RSS

He Anoints My Head With Oil . . .

12 Apr

Today I’d like to revisit the 23rd Psalm; the fifth verse in particular.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. ~ Psalm 23:5 KJV

Have you ever wondered what the anointing of our heads signifies? A dinner invitation I understand. And I definitely appreciate the effort expended by a host or hostess to prepare a meal and set an inviting table. But anointing my head with oil doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. It’s just not part of our modern culture; but it was very much a part of King David’s.

I believe it’s important to understand the cultural references in scripture so that we can apply the intent behind them to our own lives. So, I did a little research.

Got Questions thoroughly decodes the imagery in the 23rd Psalms. I really couldn’t explain it better myself, and know I would have left out or incorrectly stated it if I’d tried. So I hope you will follow the link below and read what they have to say. I hope you will soak up the true meaning of the Lord’s table—the significance of His invitation and anointing. I truly believe it’s worth your time.

https://www.gotquestions.org/you-anoint-my-head-with-oil.html

Your place at the table and the anointing of the Lord not only prepare you for the day ahead through His leading, guiding and equipping you to navigate this fallen world—it will give you hope in a world full of hopeless problems. Problems only the Lord is truly capable of fixing!

At the Lord’s table we find hope that the Lord—the Way Maker, the self-existent, all powerful Creator of all things—will make a way where there seems to be no way. We also find hope for eternity when our preordained number of days, or those of a loved one, expire. Short of the rapture death is the future we all face.

We need hope!

When we ignore or disdain the invitation to take the seat we are offered at the Lord’s table, we are literally robbing ourselves of wisdom, guidance, protection and provision. We are forfeiting hope and joy and experiencing the love of God.

Are you lonely? Confused, Discouraged? Defeated?

Are you afraid? Angry? Envious? Or in need?

Take it to the Lord’s table where He will anoint your head with the oil of honor and joy.

Don’t underestimate or forsake the value in putting your feet under His table!

Commit to doing it daily through Bible study and prayer. I promise that over time you will recognize the value in doing so.

*This not an endorsement for the Curt Landry Ministries. I am not familiar with this ministry and it’s doctrinal beliefs.

**Ephesians 6:12 NLT

1 Comment

Posted by on April 12, 2022 in Faith

One response to “He Anoints My Head With Oil . . .

  1. cpowell0659

    April 13, 2022 at 7:55 am

    Thank you Janet. This is just what I needed to read this morning. May I always find my feet firmly positioned under the Lord’s table. ♥️

    Cheri Powell Independent Consultant – Rodan+Fields Sent from my iPhone

    Like

Leave a comment