RSS

The Brutally Honest Christmas Card — D.L. Mayfield

30 Nov

childsxmasThe dreaded annual Christmas letter . . . well, that’s how I feel about writing a Christmas letter anyway . . . and I guess I’m not alone!

Our family life has never been filled with exceptional academic, musical or athletic achievements. If I compare my life to the Christmas letters I’ve received in the past, I end up feeling as if every family, except ours, is filled with over-achievers.

What ever happened to the average family? The family that was content with passing grades, musical or athletic participation, and kids who got part-time jobs, were kind, polite and didn’t get arrested? When did keeping it real become passé in exchange for masks of familial perfection?

At some point, writing the annual Christmas letter seemed to demand that I turn myself into a first class spin doctor. Should I have submitted a draft to the Positive Propaganda Police before distribution?

I quit writing that annual letter precisely because it became too hard to spin our everyday life into perfectly positive tidbits. Tidbits fit for . . . my friends . . . my family . . . close acquaintances?

My word!

If I can’t be myself with friends and family; are they really friends? Am I really accepted by family? Am I only worthy if I can frame my little life into a positive façade fit for publication?

If so, I guess I’m not worthy.

The David Boxx branch of the family tree is not “practically perfect in every way.” We are human. Life throws us curve balls. We struggle. We screw up. We don’t always make the best decisions or the wisest choices. We do our best. We fall down and sometimes we stay down for awhile. We adjust, adapt and try something new—and it’s often not very pretty.

So last year when I came across this blog post I uttered a heartfelt, ‘Hallelujah!’

Here’s to keeping it real—to being ourselves instead of fitting in.

Here’s to life—good, bad and ugly!

Let’s live life instead of paraphrasing and editing it!

Follow the link below for inspiration on how to get started.

Source: The Brutally Honest Christmas Card — D.L. Mayfield

2 Comments

Posted by on November 30, 2016 in Uncategorized

Tags: , ,

  1. Nancy

    December 1, 2016 at 6:48 am

    Yes. Truth is so refreshing. I don’t write the Christmas letter either. Those who are close to us know the good and the bad. Those who aren’t close don’t care or need to know all the good and the bad. The point of the Christmas card is to share the good news of the birth of our Savior, not to brag. Thank you, Janet.

    Like

    • Janet Boxx

      December 1, 2016 at 7:54 am

      Nancy, I do love to catch up with friends and family, so I enjoy reading Christmas letters for that reason. I just dislike the fact that our current culture seems to demand that we be so positive that no one feels as if they can honestly be themselves while being truthful. Is it so terrible to admit that the past year was difficult? Maybe the new year will bring less challenging days . . . a long awaited breakthrough. The masks of perfection we wear isolate us and become carefully scripted half-truths. I’d just prefer my friends and family be comfortable being themselves. I love them warts and all!

      Like

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture