RSS

Tag Archives: suffering

Easter, Co-Wounded with Jesus

IMG_4896

Jesus of Nazareth was humiliated, tortured, and ostracized.  For some of us, the passion (suffering) inflicted upon Jesus is not so unlike what many of us have experienced in terms of our own traum…

(Clink on the link highlighted in red below to read the article.)

Source: PTSD Spirituality: Easter, Co-Wounded with Jesus

Leave a comment

Posted by on March 27, 2016 in Adversity, Faith, Links, Uncategorized

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Notes from the Author

51WvY-NSedL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_

“When I Fall in Love” by Susan May Warren, includes “Behind the Pages” which is found at the back of the book. Here’s what the author wants you and I to know:

“So often, in the Christian life, when things don’t turn out our as we hope or expect, we feel robbed. . . Frankly, God promises us challenges, so we shouldn’t be surprised when they happen. But how, then, do we cope? Psalm 84:5-7 offers answers:

“Blessed are those whose strength is in you, whose hearts are set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baka, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools. They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.”

“Pilgrimage. The journey…through life, towards heaven. God offers us refreshment in the desert, and places of strength along the way. What if our happiness isn’t only in what is ahead of us…but in embracing the now? In enjoying the moments God has given us, even in the midst of suffering? What if we lived with a mindset of rejoicing in the strength, the springs of today…in order to bear the desert of tomorrow? Perhaps the annoying vices of our loved ones might not be so frustrating. Perhaps our faith wouldn’t seem so starved.”

**The Valley of Baka is thought to be a symbolic place meaning “a desert place”, “the valley of tears”, “the valley of weeping” or even “the valley of suffering”.

I don’t know about you, but that the idea that we grow in strength with each successive trial encourages me. We begin each new trial from a position of greater strength than the last trial we. We may grow physically weaker as we age, but grow spiritually stronger as our faith is refined.  James said it this way in Chapter 1 verses 3-4,

“. . . the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect (mature) and complete, lacking in nothing.” (NASB)

We may not “feel” strong, or even as if we are being strengthen. In fact, I daresay most of us feel weak, pitiful and maybe completely shattered during the fiery trials of life. But we find ourselves stronger after we’ve passed through the fire. The Holy Spirit quietly performed His supernatural work within, while our distracted and overwhelmed hearts and minds struggled to simply trust and obey.

Leave a comment

Posted by on March 3, 2016 in Books, Faith

Tags: , , , , , ,

one key to walking through suffering | A Holy Experience

Originally published on Ann Voskamp’s blog,  A Holy Experience, “One Key to Walking Through Suffering” was written by Bethany Hoang.  Bethany co-authored The Justice Calling: Where Passion Meets Perseverance with Kristen Deede Johnson.  She asks how we continue to believe that God is good, that He loves us, is a God of justice who heals and restores in the face of the extreme suffering we see in our world today.  Follow the link below highlighted in red to read the article and soak up the beauty and freedom of restorative lament.

God invites our questions and pleadings rather than our despair and silence.

Source: one key to walking through suffering | A Holy Experience

Leave a comment

Posted by on February 29, 2016 in Adversity, Faith, Grief, Links

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Trauma, Spirituality & Suffering

I came across this article, “Spirituality and Suffering Through the Four Phases of Change” by Patricia A. Fennell (http://www.albanyhealthmanagement.com/GC-Spirituality-2012-paper.pdf), back in April of this year. Reader be warned – it’s a professional abstract, so its designated audience was not intended to include non-professionals outside the field of psychology. But it’s readable and informative and answers a question I’ve been struggling to put into words, let alone internalize the resulting answer. You see, I’ve been wondering how the average person’s faith is affected by trauma, especially when a person experiences a series traumas. I guess I want to know what a “normal” Christian response to trauma is and how far from the norm I fall.

There’s a lot of information available about how people cope with grief or trauma individually but I wanted to know how those things specifically affect a person’s faith and for me, personally, how it affects a person’s relationship with Christ. I think we tend to lump those things together, since, for the Christian, a relationship with Christ is the foundation of faith. However, I have found in the wake of our accident, that my core beliefs have not changed, but how I interact with Christ has been impacted.

Regardless, I thought some of you might be interested in this article because you have suffered through your own traumas or because you care deeply about someone who has had that experience. Maybe it will help someone to know that how they feel is completely normal and maybe it will help a friend or family member feel less fearful as they watch a loved one wrestle with their beliefs.

So, I hope this article blesses someone out there this Memorial Day – the day set aside to acknowledge and appreciate the ultimate sacrifice made by the men and women who protect our country and preserve our freedoms.

(Facebook Post 05/25/15)

Leave a comment

Posted by on October 22, 2015 in Faith, Links

%d bloggers like this: